Ninniku no me is the Japanese name for garlic sprouts. These greens are super tasty with a light garlic flavor. They are usually sold in packs in the refrigerated section and are a versatile vegetable.
How to Prepare
Garlic sprouts are similar to asparagus in texture and can be used in the same ways. Simply cut them down to whatever size you want and start cooking. Garlic sprouts can be a little tough when raw so it’s best to cook them first, though if chopped finely they can be thrown in with salad or fresh spring rolls. I most often use them in stir fries and sautés cut into bite sized pieces.
Easy Garlic Sprouts Recipe
Garlic sprouts are easy to include in just about any recipe. This stir-fry recipe is super easy and only takes about 45 minutes to make including marinating time.
Garlic Sprouts Stir-fry
Makes 2-3 servings
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar 米酢
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil ゴマ油
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper とうがらし
- about 200 grams chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch コーンスターチ
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps quartered
- 1 colored bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 package garlic sprouts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup matchstick sized carrot strips
- 1/2 cup broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
1. Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
2. Add chicken and stir to coat; let marinate 30 minutes.
3. Drain, reserving marinade in small bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into marinade.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add chicken and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate.
6. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet.
7. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes.
8. Add carrots, broccoli and garlic greens; stir-fry 2 minutes.
9. Add bell peppers; stir-fry 2 minutes.
10. Add garlic and ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds.
11. Return chicken to skillet; drizzle reserved marinade mixture over everything.
12. Stir-fry until marinade thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.