Outside of Japan, I have heard more and more markets are carrying purple sweet potatoes. So take a look around or ask your local farmers at the farmers' market. Maybe if you pique their interest enough they'll look into growing them!
How to Prepare
Same way you would any potato:
Easy Beni-imo Recipe
When your star ingredient is such a cool color, you want a way to showcase it!
Jazzed Up Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes, either roasted in the oven or cooked in the microwave
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon togarashi
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro OPTIONAL
1. Cut open sweet potatoes and scoop out their innards into a bowl.
2. Add rest of the ingredients. Mash together until well blended.
I really like these potatoes with some pork chops or chicken that has been marinated in some sort of cumin marinade.